Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Final Touches

The Mach 1 saga continues. After many months of wrapping up some of the details of the car (i.e. some electrical issues and 4 exhaust system attempts) and in light of the limited time I have available, I have made a decision to get the car to an expert to close the deal.

Yes, I said 4 exhaust systems! It seems that no one can produce the correct system for this car off the shelf. So, after returning these I am having a custom built system made up that is cut and bent to the factory specifications. I also had some issues with the wiring and while I do have a fair amount of skills in rebuilding cars, I admit that diagnosing and repairing electrical systems is one of my weaker points.

Since the car has not had a state safety inspection sticker put on it since 1989 (!) and the fact that while I could have driven it to the shop, I just did not want to chance a ticket. Unfortunately, this meant having the car flat bedded to the shop. Except for the initial shake-down cruise we took around the block last year, this is the first time in 17 years the car has been away from home. Very stressful, indeed.

I called our local towing company and asked for a flat bed to take the car up to Worcester. Fortunately, the driver is a car guy and respected what my concerns were; to the point of allowing me to help him load and unload the car. We made it to the shop without issue and as I shook the hand of the shop owner - himself a Mustang fan - he said to me that the car was in good hands. I sit and wait patiently for its return

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Nerve-wracking! Any ETA on when you'll get it back? How long till you can show it?

More pics! :)

Grace and Michael said...

That night we drove to the creepy, "hood" section of Worcester in order to verify that the car was,in fact, locked away in the shop's garage. The yard gates were locked and there were security lights on. MFD was nonetheless, un-nerved over having the car out of his possession. As the car traveled down rt. 395 it caused some traffic delays. Folks were pulling alongside the flat bed to gawk. Wouldn't you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

My Nikon is at the ready as soon as the "pony" is. Let me know and I'll be there in a heart beat to do some shooting.